21165: Louis: Re: 21127: White: Re: 21115: Laleau: Re: 21099: (Chamb) Rotting Money Story gettin MOULDY... (fwd) CORBETT ADDS

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:48:37 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: "[iso-8859-1] Bébé Pierre Louis " <moibibi8@hotmail.com>
To: Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu>
Subject: Re: 21127:  White:  Re: 21115:  Laleau:  Re: 21099:  (Chamb)
    Rotting Money Story gettin MOULDY... (fwd)

Yes, papers and money can get rotten in a safe in Haiti.

I had a little safe in which I kept my papers (birth certificates, diplomas,
etc. unfortunately no money) that I didn't visit it for years (Haiti has a
humid climate when you live not far from the seashore) when I succeeded to
open my safe all the papers had turned into mouldy humid dust and it wasn't
in a basement!

Believe me!

Bébé PL

>From Bob Corbett

Bebe's post is perhaps the third to say this.  I'm not much interested in
the money, any money for that matter, but oh my, this breaks my heart to
think what it means for library and document collections in Haiti.  What
is happening to Haiti's paper past that is stored in Haiti?  Anyone have
direct experience?  Thor Burnham, what can you tell us?

Bob Corbett