21280: Marines / Haiti

From: Makotoljh@aol.com

Marines Deal With Haitian Gangs
By Sandra Jontz
Stars and Stripes
European Edition
April 12, 2004,

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti ^^ Port-au-Prince gang members continue to
intimidate,
keeping frightened police from patrolling the streets and neighborhood
doctors
from asking questions of patients seeking help for gunshot wounds.

The news comes as no surprise to U.S. Marines tasked with patrolling
neighborhoods such as Cruix-des-Bouquets and Mayer, said Staff Sgt. Shawn
Johnston, platoon sergeant with Weapons Platoon, Bravo Company, 2nd Light
Armored Reconnaissance Battalion.

"We patrol the areas every day. But we're not out just showing presence,
we're
out there gathering information and trying to deter gang activity,"
Johnston
said.

It's slow going. Marines have been trickling into the country since late
February. Marines engaged in heavy firefights during the first two weeks,
with
the sole casualty to a Marine who suffered a gunshot wound, but attacks
against
them have all but ceased, several said.

Crime against Haitians, however, is pervasive.

"The police are routinely attacked while out on patrol," Johnston said.
"They've been held at knifepoint, their weapons stolen, they've been
stabbed
and shot. They're afraid."

During a visit to one police station, Commissar a De La
Cruix-des-Bouquets,
Haitian National Police officers told Johnston that the government still
has
not delivered new equipment and vehicles stolen or damaged in February.
They
also are without electricity and running water.

A local doctor reported to Marines that he often treats gunshot patients,
gang
members who come to him to get medical help.

"I don't ask any questions, I don't ask names. I'm afraid," he said. His
name
is not being published.

The general health of the local population is not good, as resident suffer
from
respiratory problems, rashes, dehydration because of stomach ailments, he
said.
The government has not provided the doctor any medical supplies.

"I pay out of my pocket," he said through a translator.