21922: lyall on pitimi and di riz (fwd)

From: jedidiah <postmaster@lyalls.net>

On the question of the nutritive value of pitimi (sorghum) versus
rice, I tend not to accept that pitimi is less nutritious than white
rice.

My pov sister in St Marc told me that some missionary doctor told her
that pitimi is very nutritious. When I've eaten it I didn't find it
very tasty, but the Ble, rough wheat, which haitians eat isn't very
good either the way I've had it prepared.

I used to eat brown rice almost exclusively and was trained to
disdain white rice as having all of the nutrients stripped away. So,
I don't have any scientific testimony to refer to, but suspect that
local pitimi is at least as nutritious as american white rice, having
most of the protein coat remaining on the grain.

Country maize is interesting when eaten whole. Usually they barbeque
it, in which form it is hard as rock. Good excercise. A few days ago
I had it boiled. Tasted like hominy. Probably it could be made into
hominy easily. That is an american country food practice which isn't
used here. Could be worthwhile introducing that country farmer
practice here.

Maize, of course, is an incomplete protein and needs to be eaten with
beans. Not a problem here.

--
J.David Lyall, or
     Jedidiah Daudi