22547: Simidor: Re: 22542: Arthur: Re: All recent posts on Mambo Racine; Simidor comments (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

Charles Arthur wrote:

>If people don't like what she said about rape in Haiti, that's fair enough,
>but to use points of grammar to try and discredit her is, in my opinion, is a
>bit pathetic.

A bit pathetic, yes, but I think the point been made is that regardless of her actual credentials as a “Mambo,” Grey is no authority on Haitian Creole.  Grey raised an important issue, rape, but her subjectivity got in the way of a serious discussion of it.  Actually the “Mambo” vs. “Manbo” discussion is a diversion that lets Grey off the hook on the more serious charge of cultural insensitivity or racism.  Although what really got in the way might have been the general propensity to avoid any serious discussion that could possibly interfere with one’s digestion.

Daniel Simidor