23874: Labrom: (news) FW: Press release from US State Dept. (gag, gag) (fwd)

From: jacqui Labrom <voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com>

 Subject: Press release from US State Dept. (gag, gag)

12/9/2004

Powell Press Conf. With Haiti PM Gerard Latortue

Press Release: US State Department.

Press Conference With Prime Minister Gerard Latortue.

Secretary Colin L. Powell.

PRIME MINISTER LARTORTUE: I am very happy to present today the Secretary
of State of the United States on a working visit (inaudible). At the
same time, I am very happy to receive him. I am proud to see that maybe
I'm at the last press conference with him before his resignation. I
would like to publicly address to him our sentiments of gratitude on
behalf of the Haitian government, in the name of the Haitian people, for
his policy in favor of Haiti and this for many, many years. And as he is
now leaving his position as Secretary of State, I am sure that he will
continue to be interested in Haiti because the first time that he came
here during the crisis with the military government, he was not a
secretary of state, and even then he was very interested in Haiti. So,
Mr. Secretary of State, please accept from us a ll of the gratitude of
the Haitian government for what you did in the interest of small
countries like Haiti and we thank you for this. I will let the Secretary
explain what we discussed. And if there is a reason for me to
(inaudible), I will answer your questions. Mr. Secretary of State.

SECRETARY POWELL: Thank you very much Mr. Prime Minister. Thank you for
your very kind words. I again come to Haiti to demonstrate that the
United States is ready support the democracy, prosperity and, most of
all, hope in Haiti. I had very productive discussions this morning with
President Alexandre, Prime Minister Latortue, members of civic society.
In all our conversations this morning, the focus was on the needs of the
Haitian people. To begin with, I once again express condolences to the
people of Haiti from the people of the United States for the loss of
life that occurred during the recent (inaudible) storm. I have assured
the President and Prime Minister of continuing United States Government
support in the rebuilding and reconstruction effort here in Haiti.

I am pleased with the efforts of the international community and the
United Nations in assisting Haiti in such a troubled time. The United
States made 46 million dollars available for disaster relief in addition
to the 180 million dollars we pledged earlier for Haitian development.
We understand that for democracy to succeed in Haiti, we also need to
improve the economic opportunities for Haitians. We also understand that
the people of Haiti are looking for security and opportunity. The United
States and the international community will work closely with
(inaudible) to restore the rule of law. The UN stabilization mission
ably led by South American soldiers demonstrate that the international
community's strong commitment for restoration of order and democracy in
Haiti. The political violence and corruption cannot be tolerated. To
build a strong vibrant democracy and to advance the rule of la w, we
have got to get the other weapons off the street. Without security,
Haiti's democracy will remain at risk. The work of the United Nations
and the Organization of the American States will pave the way for free
and fair elections in the coming year. Haitian authorities will prepare
those elections and Haitian people will freely choose their leader. The
political process must be open to all for participation in a peaceful
way including the Lavalas party. But there be must be no role in
government for those engage in political violence. We firmly support the
idea of a broad national dialogue that we understand the United Nations
intends to convoke in January. And I know that the President and the
Prime Minister are anxious to participate in this dialogue. In my
meetings today, all Haitian leaders that I've met with heartily agree to
participate in an inclusive, national dialogue and we urge all peace
loving Haitians to participate in this national effort. Rest assured t
hat the United States will continue to work with our global partners for
peace, stability, and democracy. We understand very clearly what Haiti
needs, first and foremost securitypeople can be secure in their homes,
secure going to work, feel safe in sending their children to school. We
know that the UN force is growing rapidly in strength in capability,
working with the Haitian people, to do everything they can to provide
this security for the Haitian people. Then we need economic development.
I will go back to Washington to encourage the international community to
release the funds that they have previously committed to Haiti. And the
prime minister and I discussed what his government has to do to make
sure that the government is ready to use these funds in the most
effective manner. The national dialogue I touched on earlier is whatever
their differences, whatever their past history, they can come together
now and present their points of view in a national dialogue by way of
prepa ring the Haitian people to make their choice next November as to
how they wish to be governed. Democracy does not exist in the presence
of people who are unwilling to compromise and in the presence of
violence. Finally in all of my discussions today I heard ... of justice,
the need for the rule of law to prevailnot the rule of the street, not
the rule of the gunwith human rights to be obeyed and to be recognized
with universal rights for all people. Mr. Prime Minister I say to you
once again that the United States remains committed to your efforts,
remains committed to your government, we will do everything we can to
path ahead. Much progress has been made under your leadership and there
is much more to be done and we will be with you all the way. Thank you.

QUESTION: In your recent visit to Haiti you said and I quote "Haiti does
not need an army now, it specially needs a professional police force."
Today with insecurity rising, two hours ago we heard these weapons
shooting ri ght next to the palace. How do you understand the situation,
what should be done to end this climate of insecurity?

SECRETARY POWELL: I think we need the rapid build-up of the national
police force. And we had conversations about that today with respect to
providing the national police more training and more equipment to make
them more capable. We have worked hard in recent weeks to help the UN
build up its forces here to about 4800 troops and it will go to about
6000 troops by the end of this month. I think between the efforts of UN
troops and the capability of the national police this is the solution to
security. They have to forcefully take on the armed individuals behind
the firing this morning. And they have to remove weapons from the hands
of all parties who are not part of the government. The police should
have weapons, but not individuals and various militias. I think you will
see in the weeks ahead that the UN force will be acting with greater
cooperation and greater capability. And when I go back to Washington I
will begin to work to get additional resources directed to the national
police for its build up. The question of an army is something as I have
said previously, is for Haitians to decide by an elected government. So
this is a time to focus not on something that doesn't exist, an army,
but on the police force.

QUESTION: This question is actually both for Mr. Powell and Prime
Minister Latortue there are increasing talks in academic and analyst
circles to create a long-term protectorate for Haiti, what are your
thoughts about this?

SECRETARY POWELL: Our view right now is that we have a game plan that is
authorized by the United Nations; there is a United Nations
representative here, Mr. Valdes, with a rapidly growing force; we have a
constitutionally designated government that is hard at work; and we have
a plan in place that would lead to elections in November. And that is
the plan we should follow. The idea of that kind of protectorate or
something of that nature I don't know what that would do to end the
violence or to bring a greater degree of security; the plan we have put
forward was just accepted by the international community; the
international community has donated money for the plan, and it operates
under the authority of UN resolution; that's the way we should go and
should continue to go.

PRIME MINISTER LATORTUE: I have no time to waste to comment on an
article that Don Bohning wrote about Haiti he expressed his own opinion
that Haiti needs a protectorate. It is obvious that he doesn't
understand history at all if in the 200th anniversary of our
independence, that is all he can find to say. I have known him for a
long time, he has been writing for over 30 years, if that is all he can
put out, he is completely wrong. Haiti needs to reorganize itself, a
real government, a government that is working to fix the police, fight
against corruption, fight for democracy, for Human Rights and Haiti will
take back the place it used to have in History.

QUESTION: There are many people who think that MINUSTAH is not able to
face the groups that are terrorizing the country there are many people
that hope that the American troops will come back to Haiti to put an end
to the insecurity. For now is there a policy that is in place at the
level of the government that is being considered by President Bush to
bring American troops back to Haiti?

SECRETARY POWELL: No. At the moment we have confidence in the MINUSTAH
forces here. It is taking it longer than I would have liked to build up
its strength but that strength is building up rapidly now, with
confident commanders and competent people and more forces arriving. The
United States completely supports that effort and we have confidence in
their troops. So there are no plans for US troops to return to Haiti.
               Email: moun@moun.com

Safety is not found in the absence of danger, but in the presence of
God.

Jacqui Labrom

Do you Yahoo!?