23880 Corbett (reply and pub) -- Faustin Wirkus on possible 1938 U.S. intervention in Haiti

>From Bob Corbett

Folks, in reading the recent two post discussion on good-willed, but
misguided U.S. action "on behalf" of Haiti, I was taken to an article
I had just gotten three-four days ago.  It was published in Feb. 1938
in Liberty Magazine and is by Faustin Wirkus.  (If any of you don't know
that name it is not a Haitian named after Emperor Faustin I, but a white
U.S. marine farm boy from the midwest.  He served in Haiti during the
occupation and then published a book called White King of LaGonave.)

At any rate, it is quite clear from this article that Wirkus is
well-intended and wants the U.S. to "help" Haiti, in this case against the
threat and real events transpiring in The Dominican Republic by Trujillo.

However, I think the point the two earlier posters made can be seen in
this one two.  The good will is there, but the political good sense is
not.

At any rate, I have added that full text article to my web page and it may
be found at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/1934-57/wirkus-1938.htm

Bopb Corbett