24122: Ulysse: (ask) Call for Letter--Letters to Haiti (fwd)

--- Gina Ulysse <gulysse@wesleyan.edu> wrote:

From: Millery <polyne@mail.csi.cuny.edu>

Call for Letters

Letters to Haiti:  A Loving Critique of Haiti
by Haitians and Its Diaspora

edited by Millery PolynČ, Ph.D.

Haiti's slow march towards empowering its citizenry
begins with definitive steps. As the nation moves
beyond the historical realities and challenges of its
200th anniversary of independence, the voices of
Haitians in Haiti and abroad still remain a vital part
of its present and future growth.

"Letters to Haiti" is a book that gives voice to many
Haitians throughout the African Diaspora as we weave
an epistle that both pronounces our love and support
for Haiti and also offer critique of its failings.
"Letters to Haiti" aims to acknowledge but move beyond
the heroism and struggle of the Haitian
Revolution and focus intently on improving Haiti and
Haitian lives. Furthermore, this book affirms that
Haitians must survive and declares that there are
individuals, young and old, who are committed to that
reality.

Each letter begins with "Dear Haiti", "Haiti Cherie"
or "Cheri Mwen" followed by heartfelt, supportive,
possibly angry or sad words that could only be
expressed from one family member to another.

Submission Guidelines:
1. Please type and date your letter.
2. We are requesting letters from only
Haitians or individuals of Haitian descent living
throughout its Diaspora (U.S., Caribbean,
Europe and Africa).
3, Submit no more than two pages of text.
4. Short bio (3-5 sentences)
5. Contact information (name, email, address,
 phone)
6. Please write your letters in Haitian
Kreyol, English and/or French.

Extended deadline: March 15, 2005