24392: SLPGlobal: (web) Famous Haitian People

>From SLPGlobal@aol.com

In Honor Of Black History Month - Famous People of Haitian Decents

POLITICAL

W.E.B. Dubois - Famous American Civil Rights Leader whose parents migrated from
Haiti

Toussaint Louverture "The Black Napoleon" - Black Freedom fighter who
in 1803 would open the way for the First Black Republic in the World, Ayiti
(Haiti). He died in a french jail before seeing a free Haiti, which in 1804
became the 2nd country in the Americas after the U.S. to become independent

Alexandre Petion - Haitian Leader who would help the founder of Latin American
Independence, Simon Bolivar (The country of Bolivia is named after him), by
providing weapons and soldiers with the promise Bolivar would free all the
slaves in places he liberated. The flag of Venezuela was actually sewed
together in Haiti

Henry Christophe - Famous Haitian King who build the Citadelle in Haiti which
is
a huge fortress representing freedom. As a young boy, he was one of many slave
soldiers recruited by the French in then the colony of Saint Domingue (which
would later become Haiti) to fight alongside the Americans in the American
Revolution in 1779 against the British in Savanah Georgia. Today, there is a
Statue in Savanah Georgia representing the little known fact of Haiti's small
contributions in U.S. History

ARTS & CULTURE

John James Audubon - Was born in Haiti and would become a legendary, revered
bird watcher and art enthusiast in America. The Audubon Society is named after
him

Jean Michel Basquiat - Son of Haitian and Puerto Rican parents who was a
graffiti artist in NYC using the tag SAMO who would later become one of the
most successful, controversial and glamorous artists in the world

Wyclef Jean - Musician, singer and producer who founded the Fugees

Praz - The other guy from the Fugees

Won-G - Haitian American Rapper who has a video out with Paris Hilton.
Wait...Not that kind of video (imagine the outrage of P.H. caught doing it with
a black guy). This one is actually not rated X and is a music video

Edwidge Danticat - Famous Haitian American writer of such books like THE
FARMING
OF THE BONES and KRIC? KRAC?

Oswald Durant - Haitian Poet who wrote "choucoune" which would later
become the lyrics for the songs "little bird" by Harry Belafonte.

Alexandre Dumas - French writer who is the son of a Haitian slave woman and a
French soldier. His famous writings includes, THE THREE MUSKETEERS and THE
COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO

Tyrone Edmond - Famous Haitian model

Jimmy Saint Louis - Famous Haitian actor / model. He was in THE BOURNE
IDENTITY,
TEARS OF THE SUN, and soon to be released THE GAMES OF THEIR LIVES where he
plays the role of Haitian Joe Gaetzens (see sports below). I also have a cameo
in this movie by the way, where I play the role of soccer players Eddie Pope
and Robin Frazer ~J~

Garcelle Beauvais - Born in Haiti and moved to NY. She would become a model
than
an actress on NYPD Blue

Gary Dourdain - Actor from CSI Las Vegas. His parents or grandparents came from
Haiti

Marjorie Vincent - Daughter of Haitian immigrants who would become Miss America
in 1991

Raoul Peck - Haitian Film director who has many films in his credits. One of
which is the famous documentary LUMUMBA: Death of a Prophet

Josephine Premice - Haitian borned American actress/dancer/singer. Some of her
acting credits is THE JEFFERSONS, THE COSBY SHOW, A DIFFERENT WORLD...

RELIGION

Pierre Toussaint - Haitian born slave who is under consideration by the Vatican
for canonization for his humanitarian work in New York

Elizabeth Clarisse Lange - Freed slave who first migrated to Cuba then to
Baltimore, Maryland. In Baltimore, she founded the first Catholic school for
black children, the St. Francis Academy. Today, she is also being considered
for canonization by the Vatican

OTHERS WORTH MENTIONING

Jean Baptiste Pointe Du Sable - Free Black Slave from Haiti who would become a
very successful trader in America. In 1779, he established the first permanent
settlement of the city of Chicago. He is known today as the founder of that
city.

Dr. Rose Marie Toussaint - One of only two women liver transplant surgeon in
the
world

Joseph Laroche - Haitian businessman traveling with his french wife and kids on
the Titanic which was somewhat of a choc to people to see a black man and his
white wife traveling aboard a very expensive ocean liner at that time. He was
taking his family to meet his parents in Haiti when he died with many others on
the sunken ship. We all know what happened. She along with their 2 kids
survived. He didn't. He was the only black man to die on the Titanic.

SPORTS

Joe Gaetjens – Haitian born soccer player who scored amazing goal for the
underdog U.S. in match against mighty England in 1950 World Cup of Soccer in
Brazil. This game is still today one of the biggest upset in sports history. He
would later die under mysterious circumstances in Haiti under Papa Doc (see
below). In 1976 he was inducted into the United States Soccer Federation Hall
of fame.

William Joseph - DT for NY Giants

Jonathan Vilma - LB for NY Jets

Samuel Dalembert - C for Philadelphia 76rs

Mario Elie - Former G for Houston Rockets

Bruny Surin - Former Canadian track and field runner

WISH THEY WEREN'T HAITIANS

Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" Duvalier along with his father Francois
"Papa Doc" Duvalier, combined to ruled Haiti under a brutal
dictatorship for about 30yrs. Papa Doc was the inspiration of Graham Greene in
his book and movie adaption of THE COMEDIANS. When Baby Doc left for France in
1986, it is estimated he took most of the country's wealth with him. Today he
lives broke in the South of France with his wife having taken most of the
stolen money before leaving his a$$

WISH THEY WERE HAITIANS

Dany Glover - American Actor and Activist who's been working for the past
decade
to get Hollywood to make a movie on TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE. Unfortunately,
Hollywood thinks the story is too black.

Jonathan Demme - Film Producer who just recently released THE AGRONOMIST a
story
of Haitian journalist Jean Dominique who died under shady circumstances

Lauryn Hill - Much love for you girl. Can't wait for the FUGEES reunion concert
this summer in Haiti. You bet I will be on the plane to PAP

Katherine Dunham – The Matriarch of black American dance, she spend many years
in Haiti studying Haitian dances. She incorporates many Haitian dances in her
works.

If you found this instructive, let me know. If I am missing anyone from this
list, let me know. My job is to promote my culture in a positive light and if
you learned something new, than I did a good job. Like we say in kreyol, “deye
mon se mon”, which means behind every mountains is many more mountains – in
short, the struggle continues.

Peace!

~J~