24572: Burke (comment) Now I believe Blan means foreignor

kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com

As the Senegaleze, SriLankan, and Asian troops here are referred to as "Blan."

Last night, the full moon was just slightly waning, taking the curse off our return to blackout conditions. Battery-powered Radyo Ginen played a festival of wonderful old songs, when compas was king and musicians REALLY enjoyed strutting their stuff - accordians, flutes, drums: Tropicana(still with us); Nemours Jean-Baptiste; El Saieh (note for Pete and Gage: What was El Saieh's name before he changed it?) - it went on and on as Ti Boss and I sat on the terrasse, feeling the cool breezes. Earlier in the day, Mark, the agronomist missionary from Michigan, stopped by after church and horrified me (and entertained me as well) with the story of how he was nearly caught in the crossfire last Sunday at Terre Rouge (which, despite AP, VOA, and Delva reports, is not in the Central Plateau, but just outside of Port au Prince). An ancient ashram there was first converted into private dwellings and then taken over by the ancien militaire under Ramissainte Ravix. Mark had taken public transportation, in the front seat of a truck. The driver was stopped and the passengers told to get out and walk. Further down, unbeknownst to Mark, were two friends of his who were at a different road block. According to his perception, the MINISTAH and AM were both trying to get civilians in the middle. "But they were not aiming guns at me." It was not until after he left that it occurred to me that this was Sunday, the 20th, of which he spoke, and I had neglected to ask whether he was there before, during, or after the shooting. One of my neighbors, Marisol, told me one of the U.N. soldiers killed was American, but I have not seen this anywhere else yet. Every night, I see dark gray rain clouds passing overhead, and hope they stop and unload; so far, they have continued on to the North. When I first came here in December of 99, the ceramics, woodworking, and metal ateliers were thriving with many workers. When I moved here in 2000, it was the artisans of Papay who made the doors, on carved with the hospitality veve, and the bookcases, cabinets, and beds for the house I still occupy, formerly the home of a Belgian priest. Now the ateliers are silent. One of the former workers tells me how much he misses Bazelais Jean-Baptiste, "When he was here there was work; he got things going." Denis misses Bazelais, too. "He got up each morning thinking of how he could help Haiti and Haitians." Things started sliding badly by the end of 2001, when the president and vicepresident of BHD disagreed on policy and were stopped completely when Aristide sent his CIMO in January 2002 to shut down the Bois Verna bank, "the only bank run by peasants." The then head of the Central Bank announced it was for the good of the depositors. He was later exposed as corrupt, and a photocopy of a check made out to the Aristide government for $645,000.00 and signed by him was published by someone on this list (I forget if I got it directly or through the list). Now there is a new head of the central bank, and the former president of BHD, who spent two months in jail when he tried to go to Florida, was trying to reopen it under his own auspices last year. No depositor has been contacted. There is a foundation for reimbursement for victims of cooperatives, another issue completely - these were unconnected to a bank and Aristide had encouraged his followers to invest in them. Mostly, the directors took the money and ran. They were not under any surveillance or control of the Central Bank. With the fall of BHD, Koperan offices all over Haiti failed as well, and the boutiques in Bois Verna selling Haitian art and clothing next to the bank also failed. Computer equipment and furniture were also seized. I don't know what happened to the bank license. The brick making enterprise in Papay (BHD was made of 240,000 golden bricks) has failed. The tourist enterprise for Bassin Zim is gone. (Guest houses were being constructed, and a restaurant, way back in 99 and 00. I understand from a beekeeper friend that a system like this was up and running successfully in Petit Goave in 2001. Imagine it's been taken over by the ancien militaire). There is concern about the large encampment of ex-militaire here in Hinche, which has moved from the agricultural school in Papay to another, larger facility on the outer borders.
Time for a Coke.   Kathleen Burke