25853: Senou (comments) There is Hope for Haiti (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

There is Hope for Haiti

Election is the only way to change government in a
democratic country; therefore, the international
community has a duty to assist Haiti in that regard.
Haiti has organized the first free election in the
free world in the 1990?s and it could be great to
reiterate that exploit in this upcoming election.

I take this unique opportunity to say a Big Thank You
to Dr. Ron Daniels and Dr. Andrew Young for initiating
a dialogue among opposing foes. When I see sitting in
the same conference room successful professors, Ph. D.
folks, successful professionals, political foes,
publisher, tèt maré and common people; I again say
thank you to Dr. Andrew Young a famous and a
successful civil rights leader and to Dr. Ron Daniels
who has an unconditional love for Haiti.

Despite of what many might say, there is hope for
Haiti. Communication and honest dialogue are among the
most powerful tool to resolve dispute and the
antagonists start talking and this alone is a sign of
progress in the Haitian Phenomenon.

We are here today because of past mistakes, now it is
not the time to lay blame on anyone but how can we
work together to remove Haiti from where it is.  The
Haitian people need all the assistance they can get
from the Haitian Diaspora, from various international
organizations, from various nations and particularly
the Congressional Black Caucus and also the Haitians
need to engage in a truth and honest dialogue and
compromise among themselves. Regardless of the
assistance that we will be provided to the Haitian
people in Haiti, it is up to them to change the
culture of hate, the mistrust and work collaboratively
to salvage what they have left and continue working
with all sectors in peace and choosing a non-violence
approach.

Without a doubt, I believe that we all love Haiti and
we would like to see changes taking place. Regardless
of where we stand in the ladder, we all have some
common good ideas such as providing food to the
people, creating job and opportunity, health care,
Education, proper housing and as well as saving the
land by planting trees which is becoming an urgent
necessity.

Each sector as a role to play in preventing further
the deterioration of the state of Haiti, the 43
members of the Congressional Black Caucus are our back
bone support in initiating through the U.S. congress
some bills that can help the country.

Also, a successful election is required to bring
normalcy to Haiti. All the sectors including the
Lavalas and the group 184 shall take part in this
coming election that will restore hope and democracy
to Haiti.  I urge each of you to urge every Haitian
citizen to register and vote and I call upon each of
you to ask the CEP to extend the registration deadline
and be flexible with some dates. Since all the parties
will take part in the election, we shall focus more in
registering more people.

Hopefully the Haitian people will vote for the best
candidate but every single leader shall envision in
establishing a coalition government that shall include
Lavalas, group 184, MID and so on. Winner takes it all
is not going to work, we need to share power, we need
to identify skillful people from various groups and
create a coalition government. For this reason, Haiti
needs a new style of leader, a team player and someone
who is good at working with people.

It is great to be president and it is great to occupy
the highest office of the country, but the government
must serve the people and not the people to serve the
government. Therefore, there must be accountability;
there must be a check and balance. And for this
reason, I urge all the candidates to go for a mission.
The presidency is not a privilege but a
responsibility. The country needs an individual that
does not have too many baggages and the people may be
willing to give a chance. Your mission is to identify
the best person who can lead the country and support
him/her.

Haiti needs someone who is open-minded that can be
trusted first by the Haitian people; second, The
Haitian Diaspora; third, the International Community;
fourth, the business sectors; and fifth, the working
class. And this person must be able to establish a
link and reduce the tension between they Have not and
those who have plenty, he/she must be able to use
diplomacy to bring various classes and various groups
together. And last which is the most important thing
reducing the insecurity phenomenon by creating jobs,
providing incentive for entrepreneurs to invest in
neglected areas and give hope to the people.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Haiti needs a visionary leader,
someone who can give hope to the people and someone
with whom people will feel secure to invest and secure
to work with. All candidates shall have an action plan
that shall move the country forward. We need to stay
away from charismatic leaders who are telling you what
you want to hear.

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 1022
Douglasville, GA 30133