25969: RE: Reply from LeGraceBenson25962: Michel" (ask) Haitian Econ-formal and informal sector (fwd)

From: Legrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

LeGrace Benson: Reply to queries from Herve Michel.

Simon M. Fass describes land ownership and rental practices in Haitian urban
districts, mostly Port-au-Prince, in Political Economy in Haiti;The Drama of
Survival., New Brunswick & London: Transaction Publishers,1990 (1988)  Fass
also has a long and useful chapter on food and nutrition and the role of
imports.  He does not discuss the use or sources of cod.  Dried cod is a
traditional food which I believe became part of the Haitian, and indeed of
the Caribbean diet before 1800.  There are several recent studies of the
shift from locally grown foodstuffs to imports, especially of rice, chicken
and eggs. I don't have those specific references handy, but they should be
found easily on Google.