26689: Severe: (reply) to Goldberg (comment) New Election Date (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

The logical conclusion to Goldberg's query is that the new election date is unconstitutional. In any other context that would be cause for great mourning and gnashing of teeth, but given the events of last two years it's par for the course. Leaving aside the issue of how we got this transitition government, we've already seen the interim government overstay its constitutional 90 day mandate, imprison opponents on the vaguest of charges, overrule the court of cassation, and now miss the Feb. 7 date. Some would say at this late date that the constitution is already dead and buried, so who cares.

Call me a fetishist, but I think in a country that purports to be a republic its basic law, the constitution should be more than something to bash your political opponents with when you're out of power. When this lot in power now was fighting Aristide they had long odes to the Constitution. Now the attitude is, hey stuff happens. So when some form of Lavalas comes back into power eventually what stops them from running roughshod over the opposition. Theoretically, it's the constitution, but the last two years has shown us that it is a dead letter.

I'm afraid what this interim government is transitioning Haiti into, I don't believe it is democracy.