27688: Brown (reply) Re: 27663: Ogou: (comment) RE: Human sacrifices (fwd)

From: Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com>

From: Ogou Feraille <ogouferaille@hotmail.com>

Now some of you didn't want to believe it. And now you believe it
with that HUMAN HEAD found in that Haitian woman (Mrs. Severe) at
Miami airport.  Haitians have been traveling abroad with them for
margical purposes. You have proof now. Zombies from Haiti to bring
them moneyyyyyy here.

Ogou

I find this issue interesting, but I am left only with questions.

For one, I see no connection between the possession of a skull and
human sacrifice. In European culture, for example, we see Hamlet
contemplating the skull of poor Yorik, and placing a skull on your
desk as a "momento mori" (perhaps more frequently in painting than in
reality) certainly did not imply human sacrifice. Is there any
evidence to connect the religious use of skulls in Haiti with human
sacrifice?

Another question has to do with voudon religion. We all try to shake
off the bizarre Hollywood image, but sometimes the reality behind it
is not easy to perceive. So my questions: do human sacrifices or
skulls play any significant role in the voudon religion, as opposed to
say, ordinary superstition such as faith healing?

Exactly what laws did the woman break? Is there a law about the
possession of skulls? (medical students then better watch out). The
woman for whatever reason, perhaps ignorance, did not know the law or
did not wish to accomodate it. Do customs regulations say you must
declare any skulls with which we might wish to travel? The skull
apparently was not well cleaned and had some organic residue. What is
the difference between an un-eaten ham sandwich and this residue other
than its paletibility? It seems odd that this poor woman at most bent
some minor regulations, but is threatened with a 15-year sentence.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM