29099: Clerie (Reply): Re: 29093: Stephen (reply) RE: 29077: kathleen (reply) 29070 (fwd)

Philippe Clerie <philippe@gcal.net>

I am not a historian so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, in 1825 the French Government demanded that Haiti pay it 150 million
francs in compensation for the assets lost by landowners in their former

I think it started with Haiti making an offer to pay for recognition and
acceptance of it's independence. And I think, the initial offer was made by
Pétion during his presidency.

Third, Haiti resisted making this payment to France.  It's not as if the

I am not so sure about that. Actually from Boyer on, payments were made more
or less regularly or re-negotiated as necessary. There was no _resistance to
pay_. Only _inability to pay_.

Even then, it took until 1947 for payments to be completed.  Who

I believe the debt was fully paid under Salomon in the 1880's. I might have to
look that up though.

 The point is whether it is the "fair" and "just" thing to

I agree that point is debatable. But, at the time, Haitian officials deemed it
acceptable. Remember, they _negotiated_ the payment.

(Obviously, they were not very good negotiators).

However, we have to first agree, that
in principle, the Republic of Haiti is owed this money and

No! France owes us nothing. We agreed to pay it and we did pay it, no matter
how long it took. We bought our independence twice: in blood and in cash.

Of course we've now all but lost it. But that another story.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>