29190: Morse (comment) Culture and Tourism (fwd)

oloffsonram@aol.com

I talked to a friend recently who told me it cost 10 times as much to transport materials in Haiti as in the DR, the main reason being road conditions. So please, before we start renovating sites, let's start with the roads that get us to the sites. That way Haitians will start to benefit right away as we prepare to be inundated by all the tourists. Haitians travelling "in country" should be the first priority. Haitians and others living in Haiti are our first wave of tourists and cultural consumers. First things first. We have to spend what money we have wisely and efficiently.

Richard Morse