29216: lyall (comment) on the study published in the lancet (fwd)

From: Jd Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

Ok, I'm reading the study now. One has to register at the lancet to download a copy. It is free.

Since the question of inventing of data has been addressed, as well as political bias, I thought I'd do a quick analysis.
**********
"Human rights abuse and other criminal violations in
Port-au-Prince, Haiti: a random survey of households"
(R A Hutson PhD,
A R Kolbe MSW)

The introduction to the paper is politically loaded. For those following the dramas of Haiti these past few years the phrase 'democratically elected president' is heard from those advocating for the virtue and accomplishments of the 2001 Aristide government.

Here is something interesting; the second paragraph of the body has an peculiar phrasing:

"gross human rights abuses had occurred and perhaps even increased in frequency and severity under the interim Haitian government"

Perhaps even increased. Increased from what base? From before the interim government? Are the authors implying that gross human rights abuses occurred before the overthrow of the democratically elected president? An inadvertent implication.

Further on, they say that murders are counted only if they occurred to members of the household being surveyed. Someone objected that many families will know of the same murder. This objection is dispensed with quite clearly. The randomizing elements seem valid. They even state that the adult with the most recent birthday was chosen to be interviewed.

One political oddity: They state on page two that "None of the interviewers were a current or past member of the Lavalas or Lespwa political parties". The Lespwa party was not previously mentioned at all. This would only have meaning to Haiti political junkies.

They question people (page 4) whether they were arrested, and "whether the arrested person saw a judge within 48 h, as is mandated by the Haitian constitution". I'd place a good wager that no suspect has ever seen a judge within 48 hours since this constitution was ratified 19 years ago. I do know from direct testimony of friends that this was not the case before the departure of the democratically elected president on 29 Feb 2004. I also have experience of the partisans of Aristide using the abuse of this 48 hour rule by the interim government as evidence of persecution of partisans of Aristide. This statement is therefore politically loaded.

Hm. On page five they report that one out of 36 reported detentions saw a judge within 48 hours. I'm surprised. I just lost a bet.

Page 6 has  a nice chart. Criminal elements committed ,

Page 8 mentions some events presumably prior to the selected study period of 29 Feb 2004 to Dec 2005. "we surmise that some serious human rights violations occurred in the areas of St Marc and Cap Haitian during early 2004 as rebel forces were seizing the country. However, in this study, we did not examine human rights abuses occurring in the areas where prolonged fighting took place during early 2004" No obvious political bias in this phrasing. Unless one actually knows what happened in the month of February 2004. In the week prior to 29 Feb 2004 I personally witnessed human rights violations by "partisans of Aristide". Staffing of roadblocks by armed irregular forces calling out 'senk ans' can reliably be considered "partisans of Aristide" rather than unknown criminal elements I think.

Page 8 has a sentence "We did not investigate the violations to Haitians’ social and economic rights during the post-Aristide period. From news reports we know that some Haitians have been expelled from their homes, fired from their jobs, prevented from going to school, and forced to become refugees; all these circumstances can include human rights violations, but we did not address such violations in this study" This is all hearsay which does not belong in a paper aspiring to methodical rigor. They address but say that they do not address such violations.

Now, if we want to consider hearsay and testimony of friends I have family members who were burned out of their houses by criminals chanting "senk ans". The Police did run away from this Nazon neighborhood. I have hearsay knowledge of schools burned down by political gangs. I saw testimony on television of people saying "chimere lavalas" attacked their schools. These are all human rights violations, yes. According to this impartial, academic, non-political study, all such acts were committed by 'criminals', not "lavalas members or partisans".

Page 9; "Media reports of abuses by UN peacekeepers". Well, all these media reports that I am aware of are from people who celebrate Dread Wilme and General Toutou as anti-imperialist crusaders. I tend to discount all reports from those sources, although I am sure that some such abuses do occur. That these "Media reports" are cited in what alleges to be an academic study casts significant doubt as to the intent of the studyer. (studyist?)

Final page; "Conflict of interest statement
We declare that we have no conflict of interest."

Two of the references are from "Duff, L", which is alleged to be an alter ego of A. Kolbe. "A Kolbe was principally responsible for survey instrument design, hiring, training, and overseeing the interview staff, leading the study teams, coordinating all logistical aspects of the study, and data entry and organisation"

********
The recently posted review of this study (article in counterpunch) stated that the co-author of the study was conducting an interview of a woman who had been sexually assaulted. The methodology section at the beginning of the paper says that all interviewers (save one) were haitian university graduates and: "Because of the politically polarised nature of the human rights situation in Haiti, none of those chosen to be research team members were politically active beyond voting in elections" Ok, good idea. But apparently the co-author of the report was politically active in haitian politics under another name in the past. Perhaps the co-author was not "chosen" to be a research team member because she was the director of the study?
********

So, my conclusion? Well written for the most part; an easy read, not too thick with jargon. Not rigorous though. Many off the subject (as defined) entries which are designed to pre-judge a conclusion outside the declared object of the study.

This study was designed to produce a pre-determined result. I hope the supervising professor has tenure. If not, he should be looking for another job. Does this paper qualify the study designer for a degree in Social Work? Sure shouldn't.

Were the results invented, as is the current subject on the Corbett list? It is impossible to tell if the results were invented, but it is clear to this reader that the conclusion was reached before any interviews were conducted.

Aside: What about that period before 29 Feb, 2004 anyway? The week before, for instance?