30750: Kriegsman (reply)Re: 30743: Roebling (reply) RE:3027 Kondrat re Lancet (fwd)

From: Elliot Kriegsman <farpacific10282@yahoo.com>

Point well taken, Ms. Roebling;

What's most important is expanding the sphere of knowledge whether it's
about Aristide, the Latortue regime, or the International Republican
Institute so instrumental in Haiti's political chaos.

Bottom line is: Oppression and violence against poor majorities, whether
by status quo seeking elites or by other manipulated poor, is a problem
throughout the world, not just Haiti. Analysts are quick to point fingers
at whom to blame but the victims never change; they are always the poor.

I urge you to read about what's currently happening in Paraguay where a
former Catholic bishop is running for president. Like Aristide, he is
convinced he can be more helpful to his nation's poor through politics
than religion. Meanwhile, the Vatican has rejected his resignation so as
to keep his candidacy illegal. Recall, when Aristide was first deposed in
1991, the Vatican was the only foreign entity that declared support for
the military regime. How many poor people did Cedras and FRAPH kill and
torture?

Politics aside, the Wayne State report was a scientific attempt to measure
rape and murder in Port-au-Prince. Any attempt to expand the spheres of
knowledge about public health and human rights violations should be
encouraged. They give voice to silent, poor majorities.

Kenbe la,

Elliot Kriegsman

--- Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu> wrote:

Elizabeth Roebling, lizieames@yahoo.com,

I think that the underlying issue behind the Lancet study controversy is
not
whether or not the author was an Aristide supporter but rather whether
or not
the violence against women erupted under Aristide or later --- the issue
of the
violence is the issue and Deibert's point is that the study implies that
this
was after Aristide and things were calm under him.

While Aristide certainly spoke to the hearts of many progressives and
filled
Haiti and the world with much hope, he certainly armed the young men of
Cite
Soleil and told the poor that they had a right to simply go and take
what the
more wealthy had. I met a young woman who went to his church who said
that he
would walk out with them, the young people in the congregation, after
the
service, through the middle class neighborhood and point to the nice
houses and
say:"See that. See those fine houses? That is why you are poor."

Non violent, he was not. Ah the lovely smell of "Pere le Brun".

Why the American left is still so enamored of him is a mystery to me.But

perhaps they support revolution by any means. My hope that Aristide may
have a
long and happy life in South Africa. As far as I can tell, only a few
loyal
Americans and some gang members in Port au Prince long for his
return.Preval
seems to be doing a fine job as the duly elected president.