30871: Hermantin(news)Rally aims to shape lives (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Fri, Aug. 03, 2007
Rally aims to shape lives
BY YAMICHE ALCINDOR

Five hundred young people will eat, laugh, talk and pray Saturday at St. Thomas University.
The theme of their fun: ``With Jesus a Better Tomorrow.''
Christian Youth Rally is hosted by the Haitian Priests Association of South Florida and is part of an outreach effort to guide young people away from drugs, violence and risky behavior. The day will feature music, food, voter registration and workshops. Keynote speakers include Miami police Sgt. Joe Schillaci from A&E's The First 48, Gepsie Metellus, executive director of Sant La Haitian Neighborhood Center, and a representative from Congressman Kendrick Meek's office.
Some topics of the day: illegal drug use, sexual awareness and self-esteem.
The Rev. Jean Jadotte, of Notre Dame d'Haiti Catholic Church, said he hopes young people attending will gain a deeper understanding of the importance of Christianity. ''The rally is to help young people through some of the pressures they face,'' Jadotte said. ``We want them to understand how to have a good relationship with Jesus Christ.''
Speakers will also discuss high drop-out rates.
''The rally is to make the young people aware of the dangers of dropping out of school,'' Jadotte said. The Rev. Patrick Charles, of St. James Catholic Church in North Miami, hopes the rally's site will inspire some. ''Being on the university's grounds will be good because kids can begin thinking about going to college,'' Charles said. The Rev. Fritzner Bellonce, an associate pastor at St. Bartholomew Catholic Church in Miramar, knows firsthand the pressures facing young people today. He recalled being tempted by nice cars and fast money as a young man growing up in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. ''It hasn't been that long since I was their age,'' said Charles, 30. ''I know what is going on in their minds. I know what they feel.'' Bellonce said young people often get tempted to make quick money, skip school or alienate themselves from adult figures. He hopes the rally will help some avoid making those mistakes. Marie-Louise E. Fabien, 21, attends St. Bartholomew. She said she hopes the event will help her change the lives of other young people. ''Some people get into drugs, and it's a terrible thing,'' she said. ``I want to get useful tools that will help me in life.'' Most South Florida Catholic churches plan to send delegations of young people to the event. Jadotte hopes this will help young people meet each other in a positive way.
''We want to show them that there is a future in Jesus,'' Bellonce said.

© 2007 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.http://www.miamiherald.com
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01