#2066: Re: #2040: Re: #2000:Democracy for Haiti - Morse replies to Florestal

From: oloffsonram <oloffsonram@globelsud.net>

Mr Florestal brings up some interesting points on political
freedom...Before i answer them understand that I tend to be critical
even in the face of improvement...set higher goals....
1) presidential elections...yes we've had two, and a lot of deaths in
between.....
2)recognition of political parties...I'll give you that one
3)Freedom of the press...Self censorship (for safety reasons) and the
radio station Vision 2000 was shot up a couple of months back
4)Freedom of Speech...RAM singing "Fey" was a pretty intense moment in
my life...How about when the commercants tried to rally in Champ de
Mars and they were attacked...Also  there's self censorship
5)Opposition to government...I'll give you that one..but be diplomatic
6)Voter registration cards...I'll give you that one
7)Legislative decisions instead of decrees...a thing of the past but
maybe we're heading back there...

In all yes there has been some progress...lets not rest on our laurels

richard morse