#292: Haitians and U.S. Census

From: ange perrault <ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu>

I don't know if I agree.
I would love to be able to contribute to the census of Haitians
living in the U.S., but I feel the U.S. census is not the proper forum.
I would be willing to put CARIBBEAN-HAITIAN if the results/data of the census
would be posted on a web site where I can go back on my spare time and recalculate
the numbers.

I am a sceptic, I don't see why all the minorities have to be divided not only by race
then by nationality, yes it is to better serve our community, Yeh right!
Asians and Latinos are subdivided to subgroups, What not subdive the whites?
Polish-american, italian-American, french-american  and so on.

The reason I think is that Asians (mostly chinese) and Latinos (all speack spanish)
could eventually shift the balance of the language issue and may be liable for state
funding.  Haitian-American does not carry any weight in Nationality or Language.

I ask the question again:

This census does not in anyway change the perception of people of european origin.
Does that mean that we will not refer to all people of the pacific as Asian
but by their individual country of origin, the same goes for latinos?

I think this is an issue of "divide and conquer", until someone show me otherwise.
Haitians should find their own way of collecting their data.

In my census I put BLACK (African-American).

Ange R. Perrault, Ph.D.
ange.perrault@mail.tju.edu