a810: Re: a806: haiti and satan (fwd)

From: Gage Averill <gage.averill@nyu.edu>

As I understand it, the legend about the pact with Satan is a Protestant
interpretation of the Bwa Kayiman ceremony, and thus the year should be
1791 not 1804.  The sacrifice of a pig to the Petwo lwa was seen as
evidence of this pact (given their interpretation of lwa/zany = lesser
demons, spirit possession = demonic possession, etc.).   Many Protestant
preachers talk of a malediksyon or curse on Haiti as a result.

My student Melvin Butler, who works with the Pentacostal church in Haiti,
runs into this story often.
Gage

Gage Averill, Chair
Department of Music