a980: Re: a960: Re: a943: Comments on Rice Scandal (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

I would love to have Joann Jaffe's reactions to the following questions:

1. I have been told that price of rice in Haiti was at an artificial high
due to the market being controlled by a monopoly. That the first step was to
break the monopoly by allowing the market price to reach its real price(sans
monopoly)with the second phase being the institution of a program of relief
for farmers affected. Does this make sense to you?

2. Given that we are now dealing with the reality of globalization and
considering the current political and economic isolation of Haiti, would it
not be next impossible for the Haitian government to institute protectionist
policies on behalf of rice producers in Haiti? If so, then how would you
suggest the GOH deal with growing hunger, due to the defacto embargo, in the
context of artificial prices dictated by a monopoly?

Thank you for your comments on the list as I found them quite intelligent
and informative.

kp