a990: RE: a979: Re: a768: Can anyone offer some corroboration? (fwd)

From: Joel Dreyfuss <jdreyfuss@attglobal.net>

I have heard there were some former Tontons Macoutes and former army
officers in the new National Police, but it's very misleading to imply
they made up a majority of the force that was being trained -- they were
not. Kelly is a guy with a lot of integrity who would not have gone to
Haiti to train a new repressive force.

Also, a significant number of Haitian-Americans, members of HALEFO
(Haitian-Americans in Law Enforcement Organization, I believe)
participated in the training; these were people who are police officers,
detectives, federal marshals, correction officers, etc. and they were
mostly pro-Aristide and very hopeful about the future of the country.
I've talked to some of the men in recent years and they all said they
were pulled out of Haiti too soon and would welcome another chance to
help train a Haitian police force. We have to remember that Haitians
hardly need to be trained to behave badly. A lot of what we hear about
now in Haiti is not very different from what a lot of Macoutes and
military did in the Duvalier years.

Joel Dreyfuss
jdreyfuss@attglobal.net
212-932-1448