#1213: Erzulie and continuity? (fwd)

From: ali grrl <legb_a@hotmail.com>

Thanks so much to those who responded to my last query regarding the
connection between language and slavery in the discourse of Vodou.  You have
clarified for me some of the issues surrounding this topic.  You have also
raised some others, specifically about Erzulie...I am wondering if so called
Kreyole or Haitian lwa, lwa that are indigenous to Haiti and the "new
world", demonstrate a continuity with the past, and specifically, with
experiences of, and resistance to slavery.  It was an Erzulie who fought in
the Slave Revolution at the turn of the nineteenth century, right?  It was
also an Erzulie who lost her tongue in this Revolution, and whose presence
in present day "possessions" is marked by her inability to speak.  Doesn't
this mark force present day practitioners to recall at least the story of
what happened to Erzulie's tongue, if not the historical context in which
this "betrayal" took place?  Doesn't the fact that Erzulie bears a mark
inflicted during the Slave Revolution insist on a continuity with the past,
and by implication, with slavery and resistance to this subjugation?
Clearly, I am just guessing, and I would appreciate your more informed

Incidentally, although I have always known the story of Erzulie (I am not
even sure which one, Dantor?) and her tongue, I am not at all sure of the
specifics of this narrative.  Can anyone suggest a source?
Thanks for your time,
Alex