#1292: Creole literacy for native speakers: Schweissing asks (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

Greetings, it is likely that my wife and I will be going to northern Haiti
(Limbe, Cap-Haitian) next year to work with Baptist schools and churches in
the area.  My wife is a dominicohaitiana, born in the Dominican Republic to
Haitian immigrant parents.  Consequently, she speaks fluent Kreyol, the
language of her home, but received all of her formal education through
university in Spanish.  She is currently a bilingual educator
(Spanish/English) in Denver and hopes to use her skills as an educator when
we go to Haiti.  Her concern, however, is that she does not know how to read
and write Kreyol fluently.  Is anyone on this list aware of any programs or
self-study materials that are directed towards helping native-Kreyol
speakers, who are literate in other languages, develop literacy skills in
Kreyol.  Thanks.

Daniel M. Schweissing

E-mail:  dan@haitianministries.net
Fax:     (520)222-6398

Visit the Center for Haitian Ministries' Website at
http://www.haitianministries.net