#1293: Erzulie and continuity: Davis replies to ali grrl (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

I have never heard of a Haitian Erzuli who lost her tongue, but there is an
iconic figure in Brazil, Anastasia, whose bust can be purchased in
botanicas, who is a legendary historical/spiritual/ancestral figure in
Brazil. She is depicted as very dark-skinned, black, but with blue eyes--to
represent the rape of African women by European oppressors. She also wears
an iron collar around her neck, her slave bonds, and a strange sort of
mouth-mask which represents that her tongue was cut out as a punishment.
I've read/seen/heard far too many srirues to remember a source--perhaps
Richard Price would be one? But I have also seen the image in shops and in
photos numerous times. Perhaps someone else can give you a citation.
Karen