#1957: Benevolent Tyranny : Lyall comments

From: J. David Lyall <david@lyalls.net>

[Corbett notes:  replies will have to focus closer to Haiti, the general
issue may be interesting,but isn't our issue on this list.]

****snip****
>	What to hope for is that the strong group or person in the executive
>branch would be willing to do what it sets out to do such as building
>Ayiti, ensuring collective-security and make it economically productive.
>The question to ask rather is how and where to find such a group or
>person?
>

>Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
>Mozeb

The Cuban system is basically what you are advocating.
After seeing Buena Vista Social club I'd have to think
that they could do a lot of good in Hayti.

How to find the benevolent tyrant tho.
The real problem is that anyone who wants the
job renders themself unqualified. Lust for power
in the Haytian political class is not unknown,
and seldom has the result been good, se pa vre?

The Athenians voted all power to a tyrant for 10 years
to rewrite their constitution and build new institutions.
I cannot remember who this was. Was it Pericles?

Part of the result was certain state institutions which
were appointed by lot. Citizenship was certainly
restricted, much as it was defacto in Haiti for most
of the political history.

The state auditor of Athens served for a year, with no salary.
He was prosecutor also. Any citizen called to serve had
to serve, at pain of loss of citizenship. Banishment.

That could be something intersesting to try.
The 1987 constitution will be difficult to remove tho,
completely unrealistic and ignored as it is.

The constitution guarantees pensions for the army.
There are lots of angry dudes working as security guards whose
constitutional rights have been flaunted for years.
_________
J. David Lyall,
  [ Jedidiah Daudi in full ki-Swahili ]
http://www.lyalls.net/