#2195: Should the Diaspora be allowed to vote? Kozyn replies

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

From:bruce.wharram@sylvania.sev.org

> Haitians who are living outside of Haiti are entitled to take part in the
> political process of their country. Therefore, it is imperative for them
> to use their voting rights. During its first presidential election, South
> Africa allowed its  &quot;diaspora citizens&quot; to vote. Many other
> countries allow their citizens to vote outside of their country.

Haitian citizens are not entitled to vote at this time. You're right
about other countries though.

> During the last presidential election, Haitian candidates came to campaign
> in the US, Canada and other places where Haitians leave abroad. Why did
> those candidates bother to bring their campaign in the Haitian Diaspora if
> one cannot vote?

To influence their relatives and friends living in-country.

> This new Haitian congress, whose election will be held in March, should,
> by June, be able to pass a law that will allow Haitians in the Diaspora
> the right to vote. Haitians should be able to vote anywhere Haiti has an
> embassy or consulate as long as one is a GOOD CITIZEN.

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on June though. And, as long as they have
not renounced their citizenship by taking that of another country's.
Dual citizenship does not exist everywhere. Others might be able to
speak more about US laws in this regard.

John Kozyn