#2476: The Toledo Blade Slams Haitian Traditional Religion (fwd)

From:Racine125@aol.com

Hi Mike!  In your recent article at
http://www.toledoblade.com/editorial/kelly/0b22kell.htm, "Getting some
supernatural help at work", you wrote,

"Voodoo also features various types of "hexes" or "spells," many of them
involving the use of a doll, which symbolizes the person on whom the spell is
being cast. By sticking pins into the doll, the person whom the doll
represents will suffer whatever nasty fate the one wielding the pins wants
him to."

Now, Mike, I know you are trying to be entertaining, but this just isn't
true.  Dolls are NOT a part of Vodou, and Vodou is a religion, not a system
of magic.  Dolls are used in European magic, so when propaganda is created to
defame Haiti and it's majority religion, people who don't know any better
draw on these dated images.

How would you like it if we went around describing Roman Catholics as
"ceremonial cannibals and vampires", because you believe you consume the Body
and Blood of Christ during a Holy Communion service?  I think you should
hurry up and enter the 20th century - the rest of the world has already
entered the 21st!  These dirty, degrading stereotypes of our religion serve
only to vilify innocent people practicing the faith that their ancestors have
preserved for generations.  We deserve more respect than that, Mike.  You
can't slam Jews or Muslims, because they have wealth and power in the USA and
internationally, but Vodouisants are fair game?  Shame.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>