#2538: Origins of Gran Brijit (fwd)

From:Racine125@aol.com

<< I'd also be interested in hearing about the origins of Gran Brijit?  I
heard
 her be described as syncretic with Kali, the Hindu God of death and
 destruction (a reductive definition, to be sure), but I assumed that this
 was a recent development in her scope.  I would love to hear more on this. >>

Gran Brijit is none other than the Celtic goddess Brigid, who came to Haiti
in the heads of Scottish deportees during the Stuart wars (that's why there
are Haitians named Bailly, and also why there are all those Fitzroys and
Fitzsimmonses in Jamaica).  Naturally, the whites who most commonly
participated in Vodou during it's formative years in Haiti were those from
the lowest socio-economic classes (who were of course the least
"Christianized"), and historians of the day tell us that they were most often
white women.  Therefore it is not surprising that a female pre-Christian
goddess made her way into the Vodou pantheon.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html">http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>