#2753: Missioners: Pilling comments

From: Sara Pilling <spilling@erols.com>

I have read the e-mails of the last few days/weeks, vis-a-vis white
American missionaries, with an increasing sense of uncomfortableness.

While I myself, during my 13 years of traveling to Haiti, have come
across a few of that ilk, most of the 'missioners' [please note
spelling] that I have met come to Haiti out of their faith and their
sense of compassion. While they are mostly Christian, at least the ones
I've met are there because of the words of the Gospel, "When you have
done it for the least of my brethren, you have done it for Me." Yes, we
make mistakes. Yes, it is not easy to take off one's 'western overcoat'
and always do the 'right' thing. But, and I can only speak for myself, I
continue to come to Haiti, to be open to learning because somewhere in
my soul there is NOT the option of staying 'home. 'Home for me is when
I'm in Haiti, perhaps doing nothing more significant than holding a
dying baby and letting it know that it is beloved!

Please do not tar us all with the same brush!

Sara Pilling
Scholarship soley
www.scholarshipsoley.org