#3859: Comments on the election coverage and related topics

From: archim <archim@globelsud.net>

        In no way do I wish to enter into the field of the proverbial
     political soccer field, but I do have some questions. I hate to admit
     it, but I "giggle" at the comments of some of those who post on your
     list.
        For example, several postings speak about an "opposition candidate"
     being "stoned to death" in Port-au-Prince on Monday. This is great
     "yellow-type journalism" geared to sway the reader to the thinking of
     the writer. In actuality, Jean-Michel Olophene (the opposition
     candidate) merely got in the way of a deadly rock which was not
     necessarily intended for him, but was one of many being thrown in a
     riot between rival political parties. Jean-Michel was in the wrong
     place at the wrong time. Not too different from someone hit by a
     passing car driven by a drunken driver. I'm surely sorry about
     Jean-Michel's death, but it was not the result of a "stoning" with
     intentions to "get Jean-Michel".
        Another report (several, as a matter of fact!) about voting ballots
     being strewn in the streets or stolen. This is geared by the writers
     to make the readers think that the election should be annuled because
     of fraud or the loss of the ballots. Neither conclusion is correct. As
     one can read in several other postings, especially by Mary Durran of
     the OEA/OAS Observation Team, those ballots had already been counted!
     It is to be noted that votes were counted at the polling stations as
     the votes were cast and tallied when the stations were closed...at the
     stations! All those ballots which were stolen or thrown in the streets
     had already been counted.
        Continuing, I find it really funny (read "hilarious") to read the
     comments by the Washington Post which say that the obviously large
     support for Aristide "took US officials and many international
     observers by surprise". To whom are they listening? Lavalas was
     destined to win; we all knew that. When are those "surprised"
     officials and others going to come to the realization that the people
     of Haiti want Aristide? They elected him overwhelmingly once before,
     and they will do it again! Who will try to oust him the next time?
        It is to be noted that registered voters in Haiti were required to
     vote where they registered...at the same polling station. The
     registered voter was required to present his registration card at the
     polling station, and the number of that card, plus the registrant's
     photo, was checked with the list at the polling station. Those whose
     cards matched the list were permitted to vote; those whose cards did
     not match, were not permitted to vote at that station.
        I do have some questions regarding the aforementioned. I live in
     Morne Calvaire (Petion-Ville) and the polling station for our area was
     right next door to my house. There was no violence, nor confusion.
     However, I stood at my gate and watched the voters come. A large
     majority of the voters coming to the local voting station were not
     from our area. Most of those voters arrived in large machines
     (Mercedes; BMW's; Toyota Wagons; Land Rover's, etc.) and lined the
     streets with them up and down in the front of our houses. I never saw
     those persons before, and they surely do not live in our area. Why is
     it that they voted in Morne Calvaire and not in the area where they
     live? Maybe they had registered there believing it was an easier and
     safer place to vote. Can anyone explain?
        The comment by Poincy (whether properly understood, or not
     understood the way he intended), is somewhat illogical in my book. I
     think his idea was honesty-intended to help Aristide make a point, but
     that point would surely have been a sophomoric and backward move! For
     Aristide to declare that he will not run, in an effort to prove to his
     critics (and to the world) that he has nothing to do with the
     pre-election violence, would be the same as if I were to state that I
     would no longer receive Holy Communion in order to prove to the world
     that I had nothing to do with the Crucifixion of Jesus!
        And in closing, could we please get the word across to all those
     reporters that Aristide is not a "former Roman Catholic priest".
     Aristide was never deposed and is still recognized by the Roman
     Catholic Church as a priest. He was dismissed by his former Salesian
     Order, but he was not deposed or "defrocked" by the RC. Church. Had he
     been deposed, there would have been no possibility for Bishop Willy
     Romulus of Jeremie to perform the marriage ceremony for him without
     being deposed himself. Aristide received an "indult" from the Pope of
     Rome to be married, and to be married by a valid RC bishop; he remains
     a priest in the RC Church, although he is not permitted to function
     publicly in the name of the church. Should Aristide care to celebrate
     mass in his private chapel, it would be a valid mass and those there
     would be able to receive a valid sacrament...as far as the theology of
     the RC Church is concerned. According to RC belief, the ordination of
     one to the priesthood carries an indelible character with it, and that
     can never be removed.
        Again, this is not an attempt on my part to enter into the
     politiical arena; it is an attempt to clarify...and to get over the
     "giggles"!
                       +AM/FM   (Archimandrite Michael/Father Michael)
                                 Greek Orthodox Priest in Haiti...and
                                 former journalist