#4496: Graves replies to Delatour

From: archim <archim@globelsud.net>

     Bob, Hope this is not too "heavy" for the list, especially coming from
     the archimandrite! +AM/FM

                       O-hi-o, Gosayemas; konichi-wa.

        That's pretty much the extent of my Japanese, and that's old US
     military Japanese from long ago when I was there. (Not that long ago,
     mind you!)
        This is a response to Mario Delatour (#4442) from Tokyo, Japan;the
     "gros grain" authority. The conclusions reached by Mario in his
     recent posting were positively accurate, although I can not comment
     personally on the weight and dimensions of those "heavies" as did
     Mario; that takes somewhat first-hand experience! I never had the time
     to go out measuring! (Only kidding, Mario, but you did leave yourself
     wide-open!)
        Neverthless, Mario did hit the nail on the head (or would "crack
     the nuts" be a better metaphor?) in describing the named individuals
     and their maniacal desire for power, control and sadistic posture.
     These persons, and many others like them are/were responsible for
     wreaking utter havoc on Haiti, and much of their manner was/is derived
     from Haitian culture and folk-belief. ("The bigger, the better; the
     stronger, the more fearsome"). Haitians basically revere "big guys",
     and that has been the cause of most of Haiti's woes. If one can prove
     himself to be a big guy (even if he isn't), he can scare others into
     doing his bidding. Did you know that poor old Jean Claude Duvallier
     was considered a "gros grain" until someone let the cat out of the bag
     (metaphorically-speaking) and it was discovered that he was merely a
     wimp! Soon after that serious discovery, Jean Claude was toppled and
     some other "gros grains" (bent-over ones, at that!) took over. Then
     they all tried to prove that one was bigger than the other, and they
     wound-up "castrating" one another! A real case of "tell and show"...or
     at least pretend and keep'em guessing!
        And then the world depository of "gros grains" took things into its
     hands (metaphorically-speaking again!) and sent big planes to fly the
     "heavies" out. The two ensuing leaders of Haiti...both little guys
     comparatively-speaking (and I never heard them brag), have been trying
     to do a good job...and that takes guts and brains, not heavy privates!
     Let's stick with those who are trying to better Haiti by using their
     determination and their brains, instead of standing-by and letting the
     "gros grains" run the show.
        "Onward and Upward" should be our watchword, and "gros grains" do
     nothing but pull you down. (Metaphorically-speaking, again!)

                                     Archimandrite  (+AM/FM)