5976: Re: 5958: Re: 5950: Observations from Haiti (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: qret6394 <pharris@ou.edu>
>
>At last, at last some semblance of balance to the otherwise
>sensationalized accounts of what's going on in Haiti

>.....things are not as bad as they are being made out to be in
>the international press.. is this really any surprise????

This is not any kind of surprise to me, and has so often been the case that
I largely ignore all the negative media... especially since it's been out
there each and every time I've been to Haiti and has never been anything
close to accurate.  The last time I went, my initial flight was cancelled
due to "civil unrest."  I flew in the next day and found the same Haiti I've
seen over the last 4 years that I've lived, worked and visited there.  I got
off the plane, took a taxi and/or buses and taptaps through PAP and regular
old public transportation <groan> up to the province, etc...  No different
than it ever was; and the press had painted it out to be a nightmare. As a
matter of fact, I'm going again in January and there's so much negative hype
out there that I'd be scared to death if I hadn't heard it all so many times
before.  The sad part of it is that if the media hype ever actually IS an
accurate picture, those of us who are in Haiti frequently and read these
reports all the time will just ignore it, as we've been conditioned to do.

And so I'm with you -- calling someone who is *there* is the only way to
find out what's really going on in Haiti.

Caroline