5975: Re: 5958: Re: 5950: Observations from Haiti (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

I would like to add my voice to that of Patti Harris.  I, too, spoke with
friends from Haiti yesterday by telephone.  They intend to vote.  They
have activated their neighborhood brigade, and will vote "agogo," that
is, in groups.  It should be emphasized that this is routine.  My friends
asked me to pray that all would go well.

At the moment (Sunday, 3:40 pm EST), I am watching Haitian television in
Brooklyn.  They are reporting with a slight time delay from
Port-au-Prince.  Plenty of people are out in the streets, and plenty are
saying they will vote.  "Not vote?" one incredulous woman said.  "This is
my chance to vote for change."  Whatever you think of her perspective, it
represents a fairly large part of the population, and therefore needs to
be included in fair reporting.

Lois Wilcken
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's #1 Haitian Roots Ensemble
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org