6416: Re: 6301: Ciguatera toxic poison (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legracebenson@clarityconnect.com>

>From: Martha VanCise <mvancise@ircc.net>
>
>While we are talking about hospitals and medical care in Haiti, I would like
>to inform those of you who travel to Haiti or other Caribbean islands about
>an illness that Haitian doctors are quick to diagnose but North American
>doctors often fail to diagnosis.

ADDITIONAL WARNING On Snapper and Ciguatera toxic poison.

I got the poison from dressing a red snapper, when one of the spines
pierced my finger.  It took six hours in the emergency room to figure out
what was happening. A tropical medicine expert happened to be on the staff.
Once you have had this poison, it is highly likely that YOU WILL HAVE EVEN
MORE SEVERE SYMPTOMS IF YOU EVER EAT SNAPPER AGAIN. Some have died as a
result.  This is a no-kidding warning, BASED ON INFORMATION FROM MEDICAL
PEOPLE.