7359: harelip and cleft surgery in Haiti (fwd)

From: kemp@globelsud.net

I've been contacted by a Dutch surgeon from the Cleftsurgery Organization.

<QUOTE>
The Cleftsurgery Organization works with European and local doctors to perform
group surgery on children who suffer from a harelip, in hospitals in
Indonesia.
Furthermore, local medical workers will be trained to perform the operation by
themselves.
<UNQUOTE>
Source: www.cleftsurgery.org

This organization wants to expand it services to other countries, and Haiti
would be one of the possibilities.

Can someone inform me if there is indeed a need for this service?
How many cases of harelip are there in Haiti, and is there already
affordable cleft surgery available for such patients?

Evelien de Gier