7996: Re: 7994: Re: 7987: Social Services (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<<...the one man I convinced walked like he had just got off a horse for at
least 3 weeks afterwards and then his wife got preganant by HIM at least 2
more times... The women desired planning but couldn't seem to remember their
pill... They believed every rash and bout of diarrhea was the fault of the
family planning...many women did not want "planning"  PROFAMIL wanted numbers
and names-just make them up I heard.  I don't think Jesse had as much to do
with
 it...>>

Jesse Helms had plenty of power and still does, he is the chairman of the
Foreign Relations Committee!  Here are URL's which document his actions:

http://members.aol.com/roots125/bigot.html - The original AP report of
Jesse's threats to cut USAID funding to PROFAMIL and any other organization
"whose programs include producing material intended to be used in a voodoo
ceremony" (notwithstanding that PROFAMIL's songs were not intended to be used
in Vodou ceremonies at all, but in Rara and Carnival.

http://members.aol.com/roots125/bigot02.html - An editorial on the topic.

Be that as it may, and no matter how ignorant or forgetful you think Haitian
women might be, or how incompetent PROFAMIL's doctors, the fact remains that
the vast majority of Haitian women are Vodouisants, and we Vodouisants do not
have social services which parallel those provided by many Christian
denominations, and Christian denominations channel "non-sectarain" aid which
they are supposed to simply distribute to the community, into their own
pockets and into the stomachs of their congregation members.  I don't mean
that each and every pastor is a scamming, scheming skimmer, but enough of
them are, and even those who are not will never give so much as a grain of
rice to a hungry Vodouisant.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb