[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

8024: The "Soca Warriors" and the "Konpa Grenadiers" in the Copa Caribe Final (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <maxblanchet@worldnet.att.net>

T&T, Haiti to meet in Copa Caribe final


By Lasana Liburd
23 May 2001 (TEAMtalk) - A penalty and a controversial goal at the Hasely
Crawford Stadium yesterday evening earned Trinidad and Tobago a place in the
2001 Copa Caribe final at the expense of Cuba.

Though the "Soca Warriors" played most of the game in their own half of the
field and ended with just ten men, they triumped 2-0.

Midfielder Angus Eve was sent off for his second bookable offence after a
handled ball in full view of the referee's assistant.

Regardless, coach Ian Porterfield's troop will continue on their march
towards an eight regional title in ten editions of the tournament.

They will meet the free-scoring Haitians at the same venue on Friday.

Haiti booked their place in the final earlier yesterday evening with an
emphatic 5-0 win over Martinique.

Employing a ruthless counter-attack, Haiti got three goals through Renel
Mompremier in the 18th and 56th minutes and substitute Luicadent Olman three
minutes from time.

A 26th minute penalty by Chrismona Telsuma -- converted after a retake was
ordered -- and a deft lob by Jacque Pierre sealed the rout.

Things were not nearly as clear cut in the second match of the double

T&T could have easily been three goals down in the opening ten minutes of
the game but for fine goalkeeping from Clayton Ince.

The hosts eventually came into their own and were awarded a penalty in the
31st minute when Cuba defender Alexander Driggs clattered into Stern John.

Arnold Dwarika held his nerve to convert despite heated protests by the

But the visitors were even more incensed in the 59th minute when John
appeared to cradle the ball with his hand before knocking home.

Their frustrations continued when they had a consolation item ruled out for
offside in the 74th minute. Serguei Prado knocked past Ince from close range
after teammate Jorge Urrutia had headed the ball across the goal. But
referee Roger Gurley was not convinced.

And, of course, the referee's decision is irrevocable.