8232: RE: FWD: 8218: Re: 8195: Reparations and crooked leaders red herring (Saint-Vil) (fwd)

From: amah <amah@gwu.edu>

Now it's my turn to say "WHOA NELLIE"!

Concerning reparations:
1) I myself have an eclectic heritage: 1/2 Haitian, 1/4 Irish, and 1/4
Russian. Personally, I will never compare what my Irish and Russian family
went through to get to America (and they went through quite a lot!) to what my
Haitian ancestors endured. I'm not saying that what my European family (or
your grandmother and her family) endured is by any means excusable or
acceptable, but Europeans were not kidnapped and brought here as slaves and
held down for centuries - Africans were. There's a h-u-g-e difference between
someone who v-o-l-u-n-t-a-r-i-l-y makes the cross Atlantic trip to the US, and
one who makes it in chains.

2) Who cares if "There is no one left alive today who is a former slave"?
Aren't the effects and scars of slavery still apparent today? Come on now.

3) By the way, I'd love to hear your (or anyone's) thoughts on the
M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S the Jews received as monetary reparations from WWII...
-Amah Medard-