8348: Re: 8327: Dual Citizenship Dorce comments (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

JAALLEN181@aol.comwrites:

<< However, I think that allowing dual citizenship will make it
 possible for more "Haitians" living in Haiti to "come out of the closet" and
 will put an end to this highly irregular situation. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ordinarily, and generally I think holding dual citizenship is ok.  However,
in this case with so many Haitians in the diaspora who have  removed
themselves from daily life in Haiti and might be completely or partially out
of touch with current issues, it doesn't seem prudent.  I am not so concerned
with those in Haiti who hold US papers.  That is just survival.  But those in
the US who have no intention of living under conditions that may be
legislated in Haiti by voters, why should they hold sway over those who live
there?

If voting in Haiti were as routine as it is here, it might be different.  But
when voting involves risking life and limb, then all voters should be taking
the same risk.  If you want to vote in Haiti, move to Haiti.  This issue is
moot as soon as Haiti reaches political and economic stability.  Today, it's
an issue.

Kathy Dorce~