8396: Ulysse Dabouse (fwd)

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

Does anyone know anything about Ulysee Dabouse (sometimes spelled Dabouse),
reputed to be a 19th century Haitian artist?  I received as a gift a small
bust of Toussaint Louverture carved in mahogany, with details painted or
gilded.  As a portrait it strikes me as rather sophisticated-- artist would
seem to have studied the best authenticated portraits of Toussaint
available and then to have made his own interpretation--  it is far from
being a simple copy of another image.

Be grateful for any information on this artist or his work.  He also did
similar bust/portraits of Dessalines, Petion, &c.

msb

http://faculty.goucher.edu/mbell/Master_of_the_Crossroads/Moc_Title_Page.htm