8415: 8400: Re: 8378: Information wanted - Bois Caiman (fwd)

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

Legrace is quite right about most of these things, but I wonder if she was
there more recently or less recently than I.  I was there in August 1999
and the approach was somewhat easier than what she describes-- I had no
trouble reaching the Bwa Kayman mapou with a 4 x 4 and was even able to go
a considerable distance past it, up the mountain.  The plaque she describes
was then in good repair.  There are affrontements with the Protestants now
as she describes, often timed for the August 14th festival, and when I was
there in 1999 there had been a sort of ajoupa like church built by them
there or so I was told.

For those planning a trip in that direction it might be good to know
whether my information or Legrace's is more current and BTW Legrace I
recently made mais moulin ak pwa rouj out of some of your cornmeal (Haitian
Institute cookbook recipe) and it was good!)

msb

http://faculty.goucher.edu/mbell/Master_of_the_Crossroads/Moc_Title_Page.htm