8629: Re: 8619: Zero Tolerance for Zenglendos (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 07/09/2001 11:54:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Constantin
Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>writes:

<< My comments may reflect my being a law student, but here goes. Who is to
 determine who is the bad person? Will the judge, jury, and executioner be
 the notoriously inefficient police or will it be a political opponent. The
 problem with such quick and simple answers to an endemic problem is that
 they end up hurting those that the law is supposed to be protecting. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The bad person is the one caught in the act of assault with a deadly weapon,
armed robbery and cold-blooded murder.  This is a "caught in the act"
situation.  If a person accuses another person, it goes through the regular
channels of the justice system but if a person is caught doing the deed, they
die.  Simple, swift, harsh, frontier justice.  Abuse of this policy is a
possibility but abuse of regular policing and judging happens even here in
the bastion of freedom and justice, the USA.  The way it works in Haiti is
the way the TonTon Makouts were taken care of with each popular uprising
(dechoukaj), bythe people.  It's not pretty, and it's not so healthy in the
long run.  But desperate times call for desperate measures and I don't feel
like imposing my values learned from a lifetime of peace and security on a
people who have never had the luxury of living with those things.  And the
international community shouldn't either.  People in glass houses and all
that...

Kathy Dorce~