8831: On Bazin's idea of taxing Ayitians living in the US (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] Jean Poincy" <caineve@yahoo.fr>

I was told that Bazin suggested that Ayitians living
in the US or elsewhere to pay taxes to the Ayitian
government. I don't know if it's true, but just for
the sake of argument, allow me to voice my view on the
idea.

Although it sounds ludicrous, the concept in itself is
brilliant. If most of the first world countries do it
why not Ayiti? Put aside the subtilities in the way
these countries apply such policies, I think that
Ayiti can devise a way to encourage Ayitians living
abroad to do so.

Moreover, Ayitians working for the united nations have
a portion of their paycheck taken out to supplement
Ayiti's contribution to the UN. They won't have
anything in return on the part of the Ayitian
government later. They have no choice, but accepting
the conditions to work for the UN.

In essence Bazin's idea is the same concept. How to
work the details requires some good thinking.
Nonetheless, it would not be possible without the
consent of the Ayitian community living abroad.
Because witholding taxes is a coercive act by nature,
needing the consent of the people would render the
idea very delicate to deal with. How could it be done
then?

I also heard that Bazin stirred anger among both
Ayitians abroad and in the country. Bazin is a bit
ahead of some of us and unfortunately in the wrong
governmental setting for this idea to bear fruit.

Well! if Ayitians out of family obligations send money
regularly to their family members why not to Ayiti
itself out of moral obligations to their mother land?
I understand their resentment due to the corruptive
nature of the current governments.

However, if serious corrections were made in the way
the government conducts its affairs, it would be
perfectly alright from a civic stand point that
Ayitians agree to help the country in its financial
mess. I don't know what some of you folks think.

Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
Mozeb