8873: Haiti: Police arrest Radio station employees in Belladere (fwd)

From: Stanley Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

Haiti: Police arrest Radio station employees in Belladere
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Aug 13, 2001

Although some people are being released, arrests continue in the Plateau Central, especially in Belladere where the police yesterday arrested a journalist and an operator working at Radio Rotation FM. The police of this commune went to Rotation FM to get the tape containing the statements made by the rebels on Saturday 28 July. The policemen arrested Reynold Liberus and Claude Francois and removed material belonging to the radio station. Viles Alizard [phonetic], programme director at the National Coalition for Haitian Rights [NCHR], condemns the arrests of the two Radio Rotation FM employees because they were detained without warrants. Therefore, Alizard asks for the release of both Liberus and Francois.

[Alizard] ...The owner of the radio station, Amos Duboisrond, has now gone into hiding following the arrest of Liberus and Francois. We think that the police have the right to make arrests. We always say so. But they must use the legal procedure for arrests. When they make arrests regardless of the law, regardless of the legal procedure, we will always ask that all those arrested illegally and arbitrarily be released unconditionally and immediately.

Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 10 Aug 01

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.