8955: Re: 8949: A call for a general anmesty-Dorce to Senou (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 08/26/2001 12:23:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Senou
<senou@yahoo.comwrites:

<< General amnesty to crime committed must be explored.
 Revenge brings more revenge. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
First, justice is not revenge.  A civil society knows this.
Second, the atrocities (crimes) are pretty much one-sided.
Justice has escaped the peasant class.  It seems to me, if
a poor Haitian gets caught doing a crime, he is in jail.  If
one(s) from the wealthy class causes crimes to be committed,
there has been impunity.

Individuals, for instance the generous Evans Paul, may give
amnesty to their torturers but society must not.  Personal
forgiveness is a healthy thing; it stops you from eating yourself
from the inside out.  But a civilized society must show that wrong
is wrong and will bring consequences regardless of ones class or
association.  Law and order must be administered equally and
without passion, then we may call it justice.  When administered in
anger and passion, it is called revenge.

Kathy Dorce~