9251: Dany Toussaint's parliamentary immunity. Letters to Senators (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Over the last week, the Foundation to Echo the Voice of Jean Dominique has
written letters to all of Haiti's Senators asking them to agree to Judge
Claudy Gassant's request that Senator Toussaint's parliamentary immunity is
lifted. Judge Gassant wants to conclude his inquiry into the murder of Radio
Haiti Inter director, Jean Dominique, and the station's guard, Jean-Claude
Louissaint. However, the refusal of Senator Dany Toussaint to cooperate with
the Judge's inquiry has blocked further progress. Only if the Senate decides
to lift Senator Toussaint's parliamentary immunity can the case move forward.

The Haiti Support Group has translated these letters, that were published in
Haitian newspapers in French, into English. For your information, we post
three of those letters here.

Charles Arthur
for the Haiti Support Group
_______________________________________

To Senator Yvon Feuillé

Mr. Senator,
Ever since the 10th of August, that is to say 16 months after the
assassination of Jean L. Dominique, the Senate has been in possession of a
request from the investigating judge Claudy Gassant that Senator Dany
Toussaint's parliamentary immunity be lifted so that he must answer questions
pertaining to the dual assassination of April 3rd, 2000.

Senator Feuillé, we cannot comprehend why, after two months, the Senate has
not in any way followed up on this request. We do not understand why you,
Senator, having lost your younger brother, Jean Hubert Feuillé, in similar
circumstances, don't take a different course of action. In the wake of the
assassination of Doudou, your brother, in 1996, you showed your indignation
and demanded swift justice. Jean Dominique and numerous other militants
supported your legitimate demand for justice. However, today, thanks to the
reign of impunity and the laxness of the judicial system, not even the
Feuillé family has obtained justice.

Senator Feuillé, our struggle to achieve justice for Jean Dominique and
Jean-Claude Louissaint, a man, like you, hailing from the South, should allow
us to break open the doors of justice for Doudou, for Claudy Museau, a
militant from the South, and for many other victims. We remain convinced that
this fight is also your fight.

Senator, we ask that you also listen to the voices of the organizations of
victims from the Department of the South, and to the voices of those who have
voted for you and who, for the past 18 months, have never ceased to demand
justice for Jean Dominique.

In 1990, the Lavalas party of which you are today a member made the demand
for true justice a key issue in its rise to power. Jean Dominique was at the
forefront of this struggle for justice, and perhaps that was one of the
reasons for his assassination. Today we ask you, Senator Feuillé, to aim for
that goal without hesitation, so that the Lavalas Senate stops sending the
message that it opposes justice for Jean Dominique, and stops sending the
message that as an institution it favors the reign of impunity.

Patriotically yours,
Fondation Eko Vwa Jan Dominique

To Senator Mirlande Libérus

Madame Senator,
We are writing to you today to request your special attention regarding the
case of the double murder of Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint. These
despicable and cowardly murders have caused revulsion both nationally and
internationally.

We appeal to you as the militant from the early days who, since 1986, has
shown her commitment to the interests and aspirations of the most
disadvantaged members of our society.  In common with us, you have been
conscious of both the advances and the pitfalls that we have experienced.
Like us, you had to powerlessly witness the massacres at St. Jean Bosco and
at Ruelle Vaillant, and the bomb blast on 5 December 1990 in Petionville.
Don't the cries of the women who were disembowelled at St. Jean Bosco, and of
the activists who were murdered as they clutched their voting cards still
echo in your ears?

Today we appeal to you as the former head of the Aristide Foundation for
Democracy who has never ceased to reaffirm her commitment to the values of
justice, transparency and participation. The main demand of the entire
Haitian people since 1986 has been JUSTICE. The Dominique case is a historic
opportunity to bring justice, not just to he who struggled for democracy but
also for all those in the Department of the West who have put their trust in
you. And you, Senator Libérus, must show an example and demonstrate your
confidence in our country's justice system by demanding that the case for the
lifting of Senator Dany Toussaint's immunity appears as soon as possible on
the Senate's agenda.

Madame Senator, we are counting on you.

Patriotically yours

The Foundation to Echo the Voice of Jean Dominique

To Senator Fourel Célestin

Dear Senator,
Haiti's Senate is today at a crossroads. You, the Senators, have the onerous
responsibility of determining how the 47th legislature, to which you belong,
will be remembered in the history book of our nation.

Such a statement, Senator, is no overestimation of the importance of the
decision that the Senate must take on whether to strip Mr. Dany Toussaint
of his parliamentary immunity.

The fundamental interests of a nation, of our – and your – nation, are
played out in the extraordinary life of an honourable man, one of the
greatest workers for change to walk this earth, who met his death with an
assassin's bullet, and whose case must be brought to justice.

Either, the Senate of the Republic, and you, Senator, will, through your
decision to strip Mr. Toussaint of his parliamentary immunity, express your
espousal of the fundamental principle of the equality of all citizens, and
thus allow no one to be above the law. In which case, the Haitian people will
be able to see their painful struggles for justice at last being written into
the history of the nation.

Or, the Senate of the Republic will oppose this principle of the equality of
all citizens, shrouding its decision in obtuse legal arguments, which are in
fact a tactic to delay and reject justice, in which case, Senator…

In the face of such a decision, the Haitian people will be clear that the
Senate of the Republic has chosen impunity, domination, force and privilege
against the interests of the people. The Haitian people will be clear that
the Senate of the Republic, through each of its members, has rejected the
light that can be as cleansing as it is revealing, and chosen instead the
dangerous shadows. Shadows that endanger citizens' rights and all of our
rights. The Haitian people will be clear that once again, their votes will
have been extorted from them under false promises, the trinkets of
conquistadors in exchange for the people's gold.  And that during your
mandate, there will be no justice, neither for Jean Dominique, nor for
anyone.

The people already know that a denial of justice is violence.

Senator, we await your with great interest your decision in the Senate.

Yours, in defence of our country's interests

The Eko Vwa Jean Dominique Foundation.

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

SEE THE HAITI SUPPORT GROUP WEB SITE:  <A
HREF="http://www.gn.apc.org/haitisupport">http://www.gn.apc.org/haitisupport
</A>

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.