9303: Ra-Ra

From: Martha VanCise <mvancise@ircc.net>

While living in Haiti, I saw many Ra-Ra bands and heard many stories about
their purpose.  I also heard terrifying stories about being caught up in
one.  What is the purpose of Ra-Ra bands?  What are the participants
celebrating or portraying?  Why are the bands so prevalent during Holy
Week
and silent on Easter Sunday?  Why do they sometimes turn violent? I've
heard
many stories about Ra-Ra bands and it's hard to separate myth from truth.
I'm working on a book that will have a Ra-Ra scene and would like to be
accurate in my portrayal.  Thanks for any help on this.

Martha VanCise
mvancise@ircc.net