9399: First announcement on course on Images of Haiti in Foreign Fiction: spring 2002 on-line course from Corbett

>From Bob Corbett

In the Spring semsester 2002 I will be offering a course 100%
on-line.  The topic will be Images of Haiti and Haitians in Foreign
Fiction.  There is a brief course description below.

Later on I will invite any member of this list to sit in on
the course and participate (to a limited degree -- I have to
give the students first position in this), but that will come
later.

I mention it now since there may well be university students
out there who would like to register at Webster University
and take this course for credit to transfer back to their
own university.  That takes time to get done, so I mention
the course this early.

Just contact me if you are interested:

IMAGES OF HAITI AND HAITIANS IN FOREIGN LITERATURE
100% on-line course
Syllabus coming soon.

PHIL 4100.01: Images of Haiti and Haitians in Fiction
Spring 2001
Bob Corbett, instructor

This course will first philosophically explore a methodology for analyzing
an image of Haiti and Haitians from (mainly) popular fiction.

Then each student will read a number of novels and do analyses of the
images of Haiti and Haitians in them. We will discuss these various
analyses among ourselves and a number of Haitian scholars who will visit
the course.

We will read two books in common, one a scholar work on this issue:
HAITI'S BAD PRESS by Robert Lawless.

Secondly we will all read one pop novel in common to compare our first
results. We will read the 1959 Book of the Month Club selection, The Cross
and the Drum by Hugh Cave, a book about the interface of Christianity and
Voodoo religion.

Each student will be expected to participate REGULARLY in on-line
discussion and to read and report on between 8-10 novels. Please note,
these are not heavy reads, but rather light fiction, often in the genre of
romance, espionage, the occult side of Haitian Voodoo, mystery stories,
science-fiction, love stories and even pornography.

Students will be contributing to original research and there are
possibilities of publishing the better pieces produced by the students,
professor and visiting scholars to this course.

Bob Corbett